Hebburn Town vs Jarrow

November 4, 2017
Score: 0 - 0

Match Report

Match Report

Hebburn Town Versus Jarrow

Saturday 4th November Kick Off 3.00PM

The scene was set. The first competitive league fixture at Hebburn between the two teams for over 100 years; a perfect Autumn day; players and managers with previous spells at both clubs; 332 spectators in great voice and the two sides led out by very proud mascots from the clubs’ Under 8 Juniors.

Unfortunately, the game did not live up to this as a somewhat dour game, with brief intermissions resulted in a goalless draw.

Hebburn started with some early pressure from Wallace and Shaw down the right flank. After seven minutes the Hornets were unlucky not to take the lead; Hargrave gathered a long ball from Davy Coulson and drove the ball across the box to Paul Chow, who struck the ball past Gary Frater in the Jarrow goal but the alert David Smith managed to head the goal bound effort off the line; Chow met the clearance but this time his effort was saved by the diving Frater.

In the 12th minute Jarrow broke clear but the final effort from Grant Pressling was misdirected wide of the goal, without troubling Hubery. On 20 minutes, Anthony Myers starting his second spell at Hebburn after a mid-week transfer from Jarrow Roofing was involved in a couple of attacks; first his downward header from a corner was collected on the line by Frater; minutes later he released Craig Malley with a great through ball but his cross went behind the goal.

After half an hour, former Hebburn full back David Smith picked up a clearance and from thirty yards hit a great volley which looked to be heading into the top corner until Steven Hubery flung himself to his left and palmed the ball round the upright for a corner. Hebburn responded with a shot from Gary Shaw which again was cleared off the line by Mellish and then a drive by Myers  was diverted over the bar.

The first period ended with no further goal mouth action and although Hebburn had enjoyed much of the possession, they had not turned this into any clear cut opportunities and the game was starting to copy the play of the corresponding game at Perth Green earlier in the season. There had been many crosses and long balls from the home side but the tall Mellish at the heart of the Jarrow defence had coped well with this form of attack.

The second half started promisingly when after 5 minutes a Hargraves cross, destined for Chow was cleared just as Chow pulled the trigger to strike the ball home. Unfortunately, this start was not to be the sign of an exciting second period, with the most noteworthy incident coming on the back of a bad foul on Peter Jones, who had come on as substitute for Meech Kanda; this resulted in a “huff and puff, push and shove melee” in the middle of the park with a player from each side going in the book.

Hebburn continued to press, but the nearest they came to a goal was with set pieces, either gathered by Frater or headed clear by Mellish. In the away game at Perth Green Jarrow grabbed an unlikely winner in the 88th minute and the question on everyone’ lips was “is this going to happen again?”. It almost did when a Jarrow forward broke clear, but as he advanced on the goal a desperate last minute tackle by Davy Coulson thwarted a certain goal.

In the dying minutes of the half Hebburn were awarded a free kick which was met by Chow at the post, but the alert Gary Frater pulled off a good save to deny the striker and to keep the scores level.

Three successive draws have cost Hebburn an outright lead at the top of the table, and they drop from second to fourth following this result, whereas three clean sheets and four points out of six against two leading sides Whickham and Hebburn have strengthened Jarrow’ s mid-table position.

Jarrow have taken 4 points out of the two games against us and have defended resolutely when under pressure. Davy Bell and his squad have made a great start to life in the Northern League and everyone at Hebburn Town wishes them well for the future.

Hebburn Town’s next game is on Saturday, 11th November away to Crook Town.


Jarrow Manager Davy Bell’s Commented after the game:

We are pleased with the point against a very good Hebburn team. Again the work rate of all of our lads was exceptional. Our discipline and organisation was displayed for the full game and that is full credit to our lads. This is the third clean sheet in a row for us in the league and that is a great achievement. It was a great occasion for all of our lads yesterday and to stop Hebburn from scoring is not easy to do. We wish Hebburn the best of luck for the rest of the season. Scott is doing a superb job there and testament to our lads they worked so hard for the point.



1. Hubery Steven Michael
2. Craig Mally
3. Scott Wallace
5A. David Coulson
6. Jack Donaghy
8. Mechack Bolenge Kaanda
9. Paul John Chow
11. Kristopher Hughes
12. Gary Shaw
14. Glen HargraveYellow Card
39. Anthony Myers


5. Rhys John David Williams
7. Callum SmithSub14
16. Jason BlackburnSub11
45. Peter JonesSub8
50. Ross Toward